Wednesday, July 29, 2015

Reflections on our Second Year of Homeschooling


It's mid-summer, and I'm far enough removed from the daily homeschooling grind to be able to reflect on last year. We had a great year in many ways. We are starting to get our feet under us; so much has improved since that crazy first year! I am far more at peace about our decision to homeschool and far more confident in the direction we are headed.

Here are a few brief reflections on the this second year of homeschooling:

Learning is embedded in the culture of our home. We are very intentional about much of the learning that happens here. But I am amazed how much the kids learn even when we have a more unstructured kind of day. They watch the critters and birds outside and identity them. They use their imaginations to apply the things they have learned. They study a globe or read a book about a famous person. They play strategic games and ask lots of questions. I really don't fear taking a day off because they still learn so much.

It's okay if our home school doesn't look exactly like the local elementary school. From time to time I wonder if I am doing them a disservice trying to balance homeschooling and caring for toddlers and maintaining order in the house. I wonder if they really should be in a school for 6 or 8 hours a day. The education of a child is a big thing to be responsible for; I certainly don't want to mess it up! But when I see them loving to learn and finding their passions and getting to enjoy being outside, I know that this is absolutely the right choice for our family and our kids. I know that it's okay that school only takes half a day. It's okay that they don't sit still during read aloud time. It's okay that I'm calling out spelling words while I do the dishes or doing Tim's Phonics lesson while I chop vegetables for dinner. It's okay.

Time is a gift. One of the most wonderful things about homeschooling is the time I get to spend with my kids and the time they have to play, create, move around, and go outside. Our days are certainly full, but we have a lot of freedom in what they are full of. I love that.

Reading aloud is the best. This has been the year that our kids made the jump to chapter books. We still read a lot of picture books too, but I have loved hearing our kids beg me to "keep going!" when I finish a chapter. We are usually reading two books at a time (aside from the reading we do for school): one that I am reading in the mornings and one that Daniel is reading at night. It's become a part of the culture of our family, and I love it.

A good routine makes a lot of learning possible. If last year was the year that we figured out our beliefs about homeschooling, this is the year we figured out how to actually do it. We spent a lot of time streamlining things around here and creating routines for everything from grocery shopping to getting ready in the morning. As a result, we accomplished so much more and our days were far less stressful.

Homeschooling is still a difficult choice; I'm constantly juggling the demands of school, the home, and our kids. We all have enjoyed it so much, though. There are still days that I want to throw in the towel, but those days are fewer and farther between now. I'm more able to maintain perspective. With a new co-op and a toddler that finally sleeps through the night, I'm excited about what this new year will bring. But still not quite ready for summer to be over. :)

No comments: