Early on in this process of getting more organized, it became clear that if the kids were going to be home all the time, they were going to have to function as part of the "team." I can't do everything! I needed for them to be more helpful and independent. This started primarily as a push to get them to help clean up after themselves.
Getting kids to clean up is hard. You would think picking things up one-by-one would be easy enough to teach, but it has required a lot of training! It's still a challenge to motivate them at times, but through trial and error, we've come up with some things that help.
Here's what has helped us get the job done:
1. Reading Mrs. Piggle-Wiggle. Seriously. Besides being a hilarious and enjoyable read, it inspired my kids to come up with all kinds of games to make cleaning fun.

And speaking of games...
2. Playing a game. My son is especially motivated by competition. I did realize early on, however, that having him compete against his sister was a bad idea. Our typical big clean is during dinner prep, so everyone is hungry and tired. This is a recipe for a tantrum, not a successful clean-up. What we've done instead, is have them compete against me. A typical day has me speaking in a bad cockney accent, pretending to be the "evil kitchen wench," and shouting things like, "I bet they'll forget to clean under the table!" We earn points each task we complete. Whoever has the most, wins. (Note: They always win. Which really means I do).
3. Having a snack. Nothing will derail clean up like a hungry, grumpy kid. Having fed them also allows me to shut down the "I can't work because I'm hungry" complaint more easily. If at all possible, we give them a snack beforehand.
4. Cranking the tunes. We've tried listening to audiobooks or Odyssey, but it usually finds them wandering aimlessly about the room while they listen. Turn on something really upbeat, though, and they get moving (and have a blast!). If you can work out to it, you can clean up to it. Our most recent jam has been the Rio soundtrack, but we have several playlists we use.
5. Having less stuff out. The more toys there are, the bigger and more mixed up the mess gets. We tried the bin for everything method, and it was still a major struggle. It has helped us so much to rotate through the toys. Since I'm not a rockstar mom with lots of time to rotate toys, I use those little bags for washing delicates to zip up a few toys (maybe one puzzle and a few other odds and ends). We keep them up high, and allow them to have one or two out at a time.
6. Making the task as defined as possible. I made these little charts for their bedroom, the living room, and the basement. It splits the mess up into categories, which allows me to make assignments. There's a different colored column for each child, and I slide a bead into the appropriate column to assign that task. For instance, this means Tim needs to pick up the blocks and our books, while Ava picks up the toys and the cleans the craft table. This chart helps them break the task of cleaning the living room down into smaller pieces and it helps me keep each child accountable for helping.
7. Making a pile. Many times after they finish the checklist, there are still a lot of things lying around. At this point, it is hard for them to see the mess, so often we will make a pile. Since we have hardwood floors, I most often take a broom and push everything that's left together. It keeps me from having to stoop every five seconds and is so much faster. After that's done, I will often sit with them and help them sort all the randomness, sending them to put things where they go. This is often our final push, and where they need a bit more grace. They are still kids. They are learning. As such, they usually need a little more guidance and coaching to finish well.
My seven-year-old is now very helpful with clean up, my five-year-old can be helpful (when he wants to be), and my three-year-old can handle a few smaller tasks. It can still be a major struggle (you know those days), but most nights, the living room is fairly tidy when they go to bed. Except when it isn't.
Keepin' it real, y'all. :)
***
If you'd like a copy of the cleaning checklist, I'm making them available below. Obviously, these are very specific for where things are in my house, but as always, I'm giving you the excel file. Hopefully, you can mix and match enough of the clip art to make it usable for you. :)
Downstairs Checklist
Bedroom Checklist
Basement Checklist
I made these a lot like my morning checklist. If you have them laminated at an office supply store, it might take a bit of work to get them threaded. A thicker needle and a thimble will probably help!





No comments:
Post a Comment