Hands down, my favorite moment yet (except for holding her in my arms for the first time, of course):
Yesterday afternoon, I was trying unsuccessfully to get her to go to sleep. It is a little game we play. I try to soothe her, she alternately screams or smiles. But never goes to sleep.
She had been trying to decide if she was really upset, or just really excited. She finally decided on screaming, so I picked her up and tried to soothe her. She let out little fussy sounds, and wouldn't settle down. I got extremely frustrated and impatient. You see, we had been playing this game all day. I was holding her on my chest, and finally laid down on my back on the bed. I give up, I thought. Ava was still fussing, until she raised her head and saw my face. Immediately, she smiled and squealed with delight. Mom! she thought. This is a fun game! she thought. This made me laugh out loud. Which prompted her to let out the cutest baby giggle I have ever heard. Her first real laugh. And so we laid there for several minutes, belly to belly, just giggling. Her bouncing up and down as I laughed so hard that I cried.
I love her. This is what I'm doing instead of teaching. And it's better.
3 comments:
I love it. Can you move your trip up to tomorrow?
Nana
oh fantastic!!! what a beautiful moment and blessing!!!
"A merry heart doeth good like a medicine"
Laughter may come from diverse things, but a baby's laugh is a precious gift of God.
Poppy
Post a Comment