Dear Timothy,
The only way to adequately describe your personality at 18 months is unrestrained. Every ounce of emotion that is in you comes out. That means that you are either screaming inconsolably or laughing uncontrollably. Thankfully, you are happy most of the time. So mostly, you laugh. A laughter so infectious, whoever hears it can't help but join in.
You have been a mama's boy your whole life. Even now, you do not like sharing me with Daddy or with your sister. Often when I give him a hug while holding you or try to get you to share my lap with her, you will push them away and make an awful pouty face. Even so, since you started walking, you are becoming more independent. You have realized how much fun it is to explore and I have almost lost you at church, at the playground, and even at the children's museum.
You are very verbal, but you don't say many words. I know that you understand almost everything I say, but with this, as with walking, I think you'll have to see the necessity of talking before your language takes off. Right now, you are pretty effective at communicating what you want with squeals, screams, and your pointer finger. Why change what works, right? You do say dog, duck, dad (which all pretty much sound like "da!"), quack (qua!), cat ("ca!"), water ("wa, wa!"), graham cracker, grapes ("ga!"), along with some others. Are you noticing a theme? Mama is the only word I can think of in which you pronounce all the syllables, and it comes out like: "MAMAMAMAMAMAMA!" Touched.
You really are a sweet little boy, though. You are free with kisses, though you tease me with hugs now. When I ask for one you just giggle and give me a mischievous smile. You love to sit in my lap and read, especially if the book is about trucks or horses. You look up at me, point, and squeal, as if to say "LOOK at this mom! Isn't the coolest thing ever!!?" In fact, you tend to think everything is the coolest thing ever. You're like your daddy in that way.
You enjoy lots of things. Your favorite game right now is to run away from me. It's especially fun if you're naked. You also still think peekaboo is hilarious, and you love to dance. It's really cute. So are you.
Really, if we're honest, you border on pretty. Your big, deep brown eyes and long dark eyelashes, your little dimples, your sweet little grin, your perfect hair. Just to look at you, my heart melts a little. I pray that you don't do that to any girls any time soon.
I love this age. You're still sweet and cuddly, your personality is burgeoning, you're not really defiant yet, you're learning to play creatively. You are such a joy, little man. In fact, maybe that's the best way to describe you. Joy personified.
Love you, little man.
Mama
1 comment:
I really like this picture because it captures his dimples. :-)
Post a Comment