Wednesday, October 5, 2011

Schedules

I'll just come on out and say it:  I hate schedules.

Every part of me bristles at the thought of doing the same thing at the same time each day.  Structure is not my forte.  If we are too scheduled, I feel boxed in.  I like flexibility in our day, so we have time to see people we love, go to the zoo on a whim, or run a last minute errand.

We do have a routine, but have historically held it loosely, because life happens.  There are doctor's appointments, play dates, church events, and all manner of things that keep my children and I from sticking to a schedule.  And mostly I think that's good for them.  It means that we can have dinner with people that stay up later than 7.  It means that they don't fall apart if we go to a good friend's birthday party.  It means that we get to be a part of a community group.  These things don't just benefit us, but them as well.  They are invited into the community of people we love just like we are.  Our friends love our kids, and it means a great deal to them that they have aunties and uncles here.

Not to say that this is the way everyone has to go.  Admittedly, our children are flexible.  Some of that is nature, some of it nurture, to be sure.  Not everyone can do what we do and have some level of sanity in their household.  Better or worse, though, it's how we roll.  Two type B personalities plus 5 years in Hawaii has made us pretty laid back.

But back to schedules.  I am discovering that we need one.  It's not that we need structure for structure's sake. What I'm finding is that without a schedule we get to the things that have to be done (eating, laundry, basic hygiene) but we don't get to the most important things (playing, crafts, walks, going to the park).  By the time we are ready to do something in the morning, it's practically lunchtime.  Then naps, and quiet time and our day is shot.  And if the kids don't get into bed by 8 or so, Daniel and I have very little time left to talk and connect before we have to go to bed. 

So we are working on getting up earlier, getting Daniel to work earlier, getting ready earlier, reading Bibles before the kids are awake, and having more time for fun in the morning.  We are working on getting Tim down for his nap earlier, getting the kids to bed earlier, getting chores done earlier, spending more time together, and going to bed earlier.  So that we can then get up earlier...

I think we will still hold it loosely.  We'll let our kids stay up too late on occasion so they can play with aunties and uncles.  We'll spend more time at the park than we should and push Tim's naptime a little too late.  Sometimes I'll sleep in because it's been a hard night, or because, hey, I'm pregnant.  It's just our way.  But I'm hoping this new routine will give us a loose structure to help us fit in the important things that we are missing.  Maybe it won't be so bad.

4 comments:

Corrie said...

Me likee schedules.
Love, your Type A sister-in-law. :)

Maggie said...

I'm the same way - I try to ride this balance between enough schedule to function and not drive other people crazy, and just being laid back and letting the day come at us one adventure at a time.
I find that it's when I'm in a hurry, or trying to stick to a schedule that I lose my patience with the kids - I prioritize being on time over responding with what they need.
So, like you said, for better or worse - we're pretty go with the flow.

Jill said...

Corrie--ha! I was actually thinking of how different we are as I was writing the post. :)

Maggie--I agree. It's a very hard balance to strike. I'm not too sure it can be balanced perfectly. This world is just too imperfect.

Nanna and Poppy said...

So funny - I read this and immediately thought of the differences between you and Corrie. Nothing wrong with either - just different.