Tuesday, December 6, 2011

Gingerbread House Rules (or lessons in being fun for a perfectionist mama)

I'm a perfectionist.  I confess. It's hard for me not to want to build the perfect mega block tower, a train track that connects and uses all the pieces, a craft that doesn't have glue seeping out from every corner. 

We made a gingerbread house yesterday. I tried to let my kids have fun in spite of my perfectionism.  I came up with these simple rules:

1. Be fun. That's the point.


2. Let them eat some icing. It's fun. That's the point.

3. Let them help. It's fun. That's the point.

4. If it's pretty, you're not being fun. Be fun. That's the point.


5. It's not going to look like the box. Let it go.


6. They will end up covered in food coloring and icing. Let it go.


7. Did I mention to be fun? It's the point.

 

1 comment:

Nanna and Poppy said...

Good icicles. Looks like they had a blast.