Monday, February 13, 2012

One Month


Dear Genevieve,

As I write, you are asleep on my chest.  This is your regular perch.

A friend once referred to your brother, asleep on the chest of a nursery worker, a "love lump."  That's how I think of you at this age. A love lump.  You are a little cuddle bug, happiest curled up in the arms or on the chest of your Daddy or me.  This might be partially a result of your Daddy taking every opportunity to lay you on his chest for a nap.  It might also be the result of the sickness that resulted in a three day hospital stay and made us unable to put you down for several days.  But, I think in part, it's just you.  You seem more content, less spirited, than your brother or sister.  I hesitate to conjecture, because I thought the same about your brother.  It's early yet; we'll see more of your personality come out in the weeks and months to come, as you get less droopy-eyed.

I've heard that third babies just have to learn to fit, to find their places in a family.  It seems that your place is, at this point, in my arms.  You sleep through sibling fights, the sound of hundreds of legos hitting the hardwood. your brother rubbing your head as if for good luck.  We are just surviving at this point, doing what we can until we settle into more of a routine.  I'm thankful that you've been so laid back about it.

As laid back as your personality has been, it seems that you have a flair for the dramatic. From your sub-two-hour entry into the world, to the diagnosis of meningitis at two weeks, you have kept us on our toes.  I hope this isn't any indication of how high-maintenance you're going to be. 

This first month with you has been harder than I anticipated.  We are more tired, physically and emotionally, than we would have ever thought possible.  But that's not to say that we are not thrilled to have you.   We named you Genevieve Grace because you are a sign of God's precious grace toward us, binding our family together in difficult times.  We still feel that way. 

And dear, even in our exhaustion, even on the sleepless nights, we are completely smitten with you.  Everyone here loves you more than words. We couldn't be happier you're with us.

Mama

No comments: