Tuesday, April 16, 2013

Full of Good Things

Part of having a slew of preschoolers parading behind you is being told constantly that your hands are full.
"Wow! Your hands are full!"

"I don't think your hands are full enough!"

"Has anyone ever told you that your hands are full?"
I usually respond with a knowing grin. My hands are full, and I know it. I'm sure they know I know it. It is, most often, this stranger's way of showing empathy for the stage of life I'm in. Of acknowledging that having three kids five and under (and one more on the way) makes even the most mundane tasks challenging. 

But, after reading this article by Rachel Jankovic, I've been rethinking my response. Even a knowing grin or a harried "I know..." communicates something to my kids. In no way do I want to say to my children that I resent them, that they are an imposition or a hindrance. I want to affirm that, even though motherhood is the most difficult task I have ever undertaken, they are treasured and loved. Primarily, I do this by showing them my love--by giving them hugs and kisses, cooking with them, reading with them, feeding them, washing their clothes, comforting them in the middle of the night, and serving them sacrificially.  But my speech is important too, and it is especially tempting to complain or grab at sympathy from other adults. "See? Isn't this hard? Look what I have to put up with!"

So, I want to remind myself and affirm to my kids that my hands are full, but they are full of good things. I want them to know that God says they are a blessing and a heritage, and I believe it. 


Parenthood is hard, but it's good. It's good not only because each of them is precious, though my heart swells when I think of them. It's also good because it's hard. They call me every day to lay down my life for them, and ultimately for Christ. I would not trade one of them for a clean house, a little more sanity, or hands less full. 

No comments: