Monday, August 18, 2014

The Places Where I Sow

I have a small garden. We are growing tomatoes and peppers and strawberries. I had dreams of a kitchen garden, but Daniel thought we should prove ourselves on a few plants first. It's good because I'm a terrible gardener. The whole thing has gone wild. I never staked our tomatoes, and now they are heavy with fruit and splayed across the whole business, overshadowing our poor berries. I forget to water. Even so, we have a few heirloom tomatoes to show for our meager efforts.


This garden, it is enough. I think it is only really alive because the kids enjoy watering it (and each other, coincidentally). If it were solely under my care, it would probably be dead already because the only things I feed in this house are the things that ask to be fed. Loudly.

I can't do many things well right now. My world has shrunk down to my own little house and my own little people. It's hard for me, because I dream big. I want to start ministries and learn to counsel and walk with the hurting and host a community group. I want to fill every need I see. I often forget that I am a limited person in a very demanding stage of life.

Truth is, I haven't the capacity to start a ministry, host a community group, or (sadly) even be part of one. I can, however, do the things I'm passionate about in smaller, deeper ways. I can faithfully and sacrificially love my kids. I can open my door for a friend or a neighbor. I can share a cup of tea in the midst of Legos and broken crayons and cries of "Mama!" I can send texts of encouragement to friends and arrow prayers to Jesus. I can rejoice with good friends around a table while our kids run wild in the backyard. All of this is ministry. And all of it happens in and around what God has me doing in my own home.

What I'm finding is that often the most important things I do appear to be the smallest. And ministry often looks like faithfulness in my own little garden.

So I try to love my littles and my neighbors, and I trust that God will bring a harvest in the small places where I sow.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

I have been walking with you for about two years. Closely at home and from a distant. Still in the same state of course but the worlds do divide city and suburbs. I thank God daily for you and the family friendship that has been sown in us. You have definitely sown a garden of seeds in my heart that is still growing. Seeds of faith that can not be shaken and that our God is forever good. Through God you taught me that. The moments where I want to shake my fits at our Father. I burst in tears and remember your sweet hugs. You would tell me, "Karriza, Jesus is in this, He loves you and He will finish the work in you. Because of the cross death is beaten. You can grow now." Love you

I love you Aunt Jill.

Pamela Hittie said...

Oh, my friend!!! You so often speak to me at just the right moment at just the right time. I was crying about this very thing last night with T. Thank you for speaking into this so well. Love you.

The Boutelle Family said...

As always, I love this! :) so well put! Thank you for sharing your heart. Love u!