Have you ever been swimming or running or hiking and gotten so caught up in the activity that you didn't realize how tired you were? Often I find that in these types of activities, it's not until I come in and sit down that the exhaustion really hits.
These past few weeks have been a sprint. Daniel had a deadline (which means he was working a lot more hours than normal), our kids got the stomach flu (again), I started teaching a unit study at Ava's enrichment program, and then there's just the normal, everyday care, feeding, and educating of four kids. I was getting anxious, and my temper was growing short. I don't think I realized how desperately I needed a break.
And then my in-laws offered to take the older two kids for the week. Last Saturday, Daniel took all four kids (bless him) and met his parents in Springfield. I had a full day to myself.
I had planned to accomplish my entire to-do list that day (when will I have another day in my house without interruption?!), but I sat down to have some breakfast and read for a bit almost fell asleep in my eggs. I heeded a good friend's advice and took a long nap.
Daniel returned that night with the two little ones, and I spent the week with just them. I am feeling refreshed.
This week, I cuddled and read with my three year old. I tried (and failed) to teach my toddler to go to sleep by herself. I took some naps. I had a quiet time that didn't take place in a toddler's bedroom or in the bathroom. I defrosted our fridge and sorted through the mounds of baby clothes. I was by myself a little. I needed that.
This week felt like a week of jubilee (is that a thing?). I thought about sabbath and about the rest that Jesus gives to his weary sheep (even when sleep is still, shall we say, less than optimal). I remembered that my identity is not in my doing, but what has been done for me. This week, the Lord restored me. I am thankful.

1 comment:
I'm SO glad you're feeling refreshed & so proud of you for resting. It can be so hard to do, but so needed (although I know I don't need to tell you that) & SO worth it :)
Post a Comment