Rest is vital to our spiritual, emotional, and physical health, but It can be hard to know how to do it in this stage of life. Because of this, it is important to encourage each other in it. Toward that end, my friends Lori and Ashley are hosting a link-up today (which you can find here and here).
***
All mothers know that there is not really a time that belongs solely to us. We steal moments when we can, even get out for coffee from time to time. But we are always on call. And particularly in the little years, our children need us constantly.
I love being with my kids. As a stay-at-home mom, I get to be with them almost all the time. I love reading with them, building Legos with them, hearing the funny things they say. I love talking about life and faith with them and watching them discover the world. This time is a gift. They are a gift.
But they are still almost always with me. And that is hard.
I am summoned out of bed at early-o'clock after spending half the night on the floor of my toddler's room. I make breakfast, oversee chores, and read aloud. I make smoothies and grilled cheese, and fill sippy cups with milk. I lay toddlers down for rest and teach the older ones to read and spell and add. I have some tea and try not to fall asleep.
There are no lulls in my day.
Eventually, I would like to get up early. I hope to, but in this stage, I just can't. I badly need the sleep.
So I sneak time. I hide in the bathroom in morning and read the Psalms, rock the baby at nap time and read the epistles. I highlight, re-copy, and try to meditate. I write verses on a dry-erase board to be smudged by little fingers. I whisper breath prayers and beg for help when my strength is spent and I am anxious and I want to quit.
I don't know if this enough. My soul is thirsty and I am weary.
I don't know if this is enough, but I know this: the Lord is with me.
I know that his word is living and active, and wherever I encounter it, it encourages and strengthens me. He meets me in the bathroom, the rocking chair, in my devotional time with my kids, or in a well-timed text from a friend.
I know that he hasn't hit "pause" on my spiritual growth just because I'm busy doing the work he gave me to do.
I know that he cares for me, giving me soul rest when physical rest is hard to come by.
I know that he loves me, and he never lets go of me.
And when my children need me constantly, I remember that I am His child too, and He will give me what I need.
But they are still almost always with me. And that is hard.
I am summoned out of bed at early-o'clock after spending half the night on the floor of my toddler's room. I make breakfast, oversee chores, and read aloud. I make smoothies and grilled cheese, and fill sippy cups with milk. I lay toddlers down for rest and teach the older ones to read and spell and add. I have some tea and try not to fall asleep.
There are no lulls in my day.
Eventually, I would like to get up early. I hope to, but in this stage, I just can't. I badly need the sleep.
So I sneak time. I hide in the bathroom in morning and read the Psalms, rock the baby at nap time and read the epistles. I highlight, re-copy, and try to meditate. I write verses on a dry-erase board to be smudged by little fingers. I whisper breath prayers and beg for help when my strength is spent and I am anxious and I want to quit.
I don't know if this enough. My soul is thirsty and I am weary.
I don't know if this is enough, but I know this: the Lord is with me.
I know that his word is living and active, and wherever I encounter it, it encourages and strengthens me. He meets me in the bathroom, the rocking chair, in my devotional time with my kids, or in a well-timed text from a friend.
I know that he hasn't hit "pause" on my spiritual growth just because I'm busy doing the work he gave me to do.
I know that he cares for me, giving me soul rest when physical rest is hard to come by.
I know that he loves me, and he never lets go of me.
And when my children need me constantly, I remember that I am His child too, and He will give me what I need.
3 comments:
I love the way that you find little moments throughout your day to fill your heart with His truth. And you are right. He is with you in every one of those moments, giving you grace & providing what you need. Thanks for linking up with us & sharing so honestly!
Thank you for sharing this, Jill. This is so encouraging and honest to all moms of littles. It is hard in this season to find time to spend in the Word. Honestly, I'm so nervous for when the kids are all home and my me time is stolen away. Thank you for sharing your heart, so other moms (me included) can say me too, friend, me too. Love you!
So many moms write about hiding in the bathroom, haha. This is so great. I wish you the best of luck!
Post a Comment