Friday, August 22, 2008

Reflections at Four Months

Ava turned 4 months old on Sunday. Here are her new stats for those who are interested:

Weight: 14.4 lbs
Length: 24.5 in
Body Type: Chunky (and perfect!)

(Oh, and in other good news... I am back to my pre-pregnancy weight! Hooray!)

I told Daniel the other day that these have been the longest four months of my life. It seems like ages ago that I was in labor. They have just crawled by.

I think for the most part that is a good thing. We have enjoyed her a lot. I don't want to make it sound like I don't. I cherish every day. I laugh at her giggles, smell her baby smell, and cuddle her irresistibly soft skin. She is wonderful. But she is also exhausting.

I love her so much now, but part of me can't wait until she sleeps a little better, and I don't walk around in a stupor anymore. I can't wait to see her personality bloom and what color her hair will be. I can't wait until she can suck her thumb. These milestones that seemed so insignificant now loom large, and I think, Lord, will I ever feel well rested again? You seasoned moms might tell me no.

But I'm enjoying it. She is delightful. When I get up in a grumpy mood because I am so tired, I need only look to her little face. She is so excited to see me. She squeals and smiles. And it is all worth it.

2 comments:

Annie said...

for the record - i think you're a terrific mom. i learn so much from you!!!

Dustin Baker said...

As our pastor's wife, mother of 5, told me recently, sleep is just an idol. I'm not sure at what point you give in to that philosophy. But Corrie and I are close.

Anyways, we can't wait to see you guys on Thursday. Travel safe and take care of that cute little baby