I am asking for your thoughts and prayers as I consider an opportunity to go on a mission trip to the Philippines this May. Our church partners with a missionary who runs a refuge for girls who have been abused on the island of Mindanao. I wanted to go when we sent a team out last July, but school started immediately after the team left, and I couldn't make it work. Now, he wants our church to send a group of women to mentor and disciple these girls. I am extremely excited about this new opportunity to go, but I am conflicted about whether or not to leave Ava here.
What excites me most about this trip is the opportunity to build relationships with girls who are hurting—to share the love of Jesus with them. I know that I cannot fathom the pain that these girls have experienced in their lifetimes, and I don’t want to go so that I can teach them from a place high above them. But I am excited to encourage them in their faiths, and to share God’s good news with them.
I have never been on a mission trip. I am excited about the opportunity to go. I want to increase my heart for missions, and share in God’s heart for the world. I hope that by going, God would give me a greater love for those who don’t know him. I feel like I have much more to learn than I have to teach. I hope that this experience will give me a greater commitment to the Great Commission.
Most people I have spoken to have been very encouraging, but several people on the missions committee have expressed concerns about me leaving Ava because she is so young. The possibility has been raised that all three of us would go together, but I'm not sure if that's a good idea because of the safety and health concerns.
I know that it will be harder than I know to be away from Ava for two weeks. But I also don't want to say no to something God is calling me to. If you have any wisdom to share, please feel free to leave a comment.
No comments:
Post a Comment