Sin has lost its power.I had a harder time singing them than I normally do. We were reminded on Friday just how much death still stings.
Death has lost its sting.
From the grave you've risen victoriously.
Some very dear friends of ours lost their 11-year-old daughter of a generalized strep infection (originally thought to be swine flu) on Friday. We worked under them at Horn Creek. They saw us through our courtship, even driving 12 hours with their four kids to be at our wedding. They have loved us well.
Audrey was probably 3 or 4 when Daniel and I worked at Horn Creek. I remember her running around under our feet, ever talkative and precocious, if a little sassy. The last time we saw her, she had grown into a beautiful young girl, a bit more reserved than when we knew her, but enchanting nonetheless. Same big eyes and infectious smile. I just can't get away from the image I have of her sitting at the piano, fingers dancing over the keys. I just can't bring myself to believe that she is gone.
I have been mourning her loss since I heard the news. I am broken-hearted because she was so young and full of life. Even more, I know how painful this must be for her family. I cannot imagine what it would be like to lose a daughter, a sister. I look at my own little girl, and pray, Please God. Protect her.
I know that Audrey is rejoicing with her Savior. But it hurts for us down here. George Eldon Ladd captures our plight and God's gracious solution better than I can:
Everywhere one goes, he finds the gaping grave swallowing up the dying. Tears of loss, of separation, of final departure stain every face. Every table sooner or later has an empty chair, every fireside its vacant place. Death is the great leveller. Wealth or poverty, fame or oblivion, success or failure, race, creed or culture--all our human distinctions mean nothing before the ultimate irresistible sweep of the scythe of death which cuts us all down...Apart from the gospel of the Kingdom, death is the mighty conqueror before whom we are all helpless. We can only beat our fists against the tomb without effect. It does not yield. It does not respond. But the Good News is this: death has been defeated; our conqueror has been conquered. God displayed his Kingdom's power through Christ's victory on the cross. In the face of God's Kingdom, death was helpless. It could not hold Him; death has been defeated; life and immortality have been brought to light. An empty tomb in Jerusalem is proof of it.Please join me in praying for this family. While death has lost its ultimate sting, it still hurts this side of heaven.
No comments:
Post a Comment