Saturday, November 21, 2009

Evidence of Grace

Today is one of those days that makes me thankful. It was a day of close calls.

This morning on our way to our church's membership class, we arrived at the site of a major accident probably 20-30 seconds after it occurred. Shortly thereafter, we had a woman (whose car we couldn't see) pull through a left turn lane and almost into our van. Two disasters averted. We breathed a sigh of relief and said a prayer of thanksgiving.

We arrived home after our class and were busying ourselves getting lunch ready. I looked across the room in time to see Ava lean backwards into the baby gate that blocks the entry to the basement. In a split second, the swing gate gave way, and I saw Ava tumble backwards down the hardwood stairs into our basement.

"AVA!" I screamed. Daniel and I raced down the stairs to find her at the bottom of the stairs, screaming. I was afraid to move her; I had no idea how badly she was hurt. I think that she moved first though, wanting to be held. I picked her up, cried, and called on God. Heart still pounding, I carried her upstairs and gave her the pacifier and got her calmed down. She was beginning to look sleepy (it was naptime, but I wasn't at all sure it wasn't due to a head injury). I had Daniel call our pediatrician through the physician's exchange. We were pretty shaken up at this point; she tried to allay our fears. She told me that it was probably a good thing that she went down backwards. She said that if you are going to hit your in the head, the back of the head is a pretty good place to do so. She said that if she was moving, not vomiting, not acting out of character, she was probably fine. She recommended that we still take her to the ER at Northwest Community Hospital as a precaution and for our peace of mind.

By the time we left for the ER, she was giggling and chasing the kitty. We were beginning to feel more confident that she was okay. The nurse practitioner and nurses told us she looked great--she didn't have any of the warning signs for concussion. She was giggling and pointing at the fish painted on the wall. She was a very good patient. They said to monitor her, let her take a nap, and to come back if anything changed.


It was a terrifying experience. It didn't occur to me as I ran to her that she could have a fall like that and be okay. It was such a relief to see her move. From time to time, I am surprised at the intensity of my love for her. Of course, I love her. She is my daughter. But I have never loved anyone in quite the same way. It's not that I love her more than Daniel, but there is a protective aspect to my love for her that is fierce.

The whole day has been a reminder of God's grace and provision for us. I suppose he could have made us miss accidents by more this morning, and he could have kept her from falling down the stairs. But I think sometimes it's healthy for us to know God's grace. If everything was always hunky dory, if we didn't have close calls, then we would most likely go on oblivious to his blessings. I felt God's deliverance today. I am so thankful that my little girl is okay, that she was giggling and charming strangers again this evening.

1 comment:

Maggie said...

That same thing happened to Mena last Christmas...I can definitely empathize with your mini heart attack! Thank God she's just fine!

Brian was just joking the other day about me loving Sylvie more than him...and I couldn't quite explain the difference between my love for him and for her...but I think you nailed it.