I knew you would be a wonderful Daddy. One of my most vivid memories of the night you proposed is walking across that bridge in Austin, dreaming of our children and our children's children. I was thankful to know that you didn't just love me then, when our romantic feelings did not have to be accompanied by sacrifice, but were looking forward to all of the blessings that marriage would bring.
We couldn't have imagined the blessing they would be, could we? Ava, with her giggles, her sass and her precociousness, her fiery curls and personality to match. Timothy, with his giggles and his sweetness, his big brown eyes and mischievous grin. Our Heavenly Father gives us good gifts.
And He has given them a good gift in you. I see how you delight in Ava, how you ferociously guard your times snuggling with her before bed. You take her on dates, listen to her, teach her about Jesus Christ and his gospel as you teach and discipline her, and just have fun with her. She will grow up knowing that you love and cherish her. That is so important for a little girl. I love seeing you give her what I was given.

I see how you play with Timmy--laugh with him, toss him around, wrestle. I enjoyed watching him play as you installed our dishwasher; I'm looking forward to watching him follow you around with tools in the years to come. From you, I know he'll learn what is to be a godly man--full of integrity, wisdom, a gentle strength, and a love for his Savior. I want him to be like you.

Most of all, love, I am thankful that when our kids encounter the truth that God is their Heavenly Father, they will have an earthly example pointing to the Higher Truth. They will know gracious, protective, faithful, unbreaking love, because they have seen it in you.
I love you more than I can express. So do they.
And though you're thousands of miles away, Happy Father's Day.
Jilly
No comments:
Post a Comment