Sunday, June 17, 2012

To My Love, on Father's Day

Dear Daniel,

There is no one on earth I would rather father my children than you. You are strong, yet tender. Wise, but not aloof. Fun, but not permissive. You pour love and affection and grace onto our kids. You teach their hearts to be in awe of our Father God, to love Jesus, to cling to his grace in their imperfection. You are uncommonly gifted in your ability to show grace in exasperating circumstances.

I love to see you with our kids: wrestling, laughing, reading, praying. They love your energy, your sense of fun, your willingness to be silly with them. They love to spend time alone with you, and I am so happy to think of them growing up in a home where they are cherished. I’m so happy for our girls to grow up knowing what it is to be loved well. I want Genevieve and Ava to marry men who love them like you do, who love Jesus like you do. And our boy(s?)—I am so glad they have an example of godly masculinity in you. I want Timmy to grow up to be like you—to care for his wife, to love his family. And for all of them—I am so glad that they have in you a man who truly loves the gospel, who has been and continues to be transformed by it, and who preaches it to them every day.

Thank you for being such a good Daddy to them. Thank you for loving the gospel so deeply and clinging to it so tightly before us. We are so richly blessed to have you.

Happy Father’s Day—

Jill


No comments: