Monday, May 25, 2009

Jillippines Update 2

First, the pictures:
Jill with Maria*** (not her real name), who recently tied their shirts together to keep Jill close.

And now the update (from the end of last week):
I love these girls. Can I have them all? Really. They are so sweet and affectionate. They just gravitate toward us, giving us hugs, and telling us, "I love you so much!" They are so thirsty for love. They miss their families, but I am thankful that they have a family here--and several of them have told me that they are as well. Pray that God would comfort them--they want so much to have normal loving families, but so many of them don't have them. It humbles me to think how I have been blessed.

We had a great time today. We played a game a little like Marco Polo after breakfast. You blindfold someone, and the others tease and run away. I was it way too many times, and the kids took great pleasure in running up and poking me and watching me fumble my way around the room.

They call us girls "Ate" (Atay), which means older sister, JD "Kuya" meaning big brother, and Brant they call, quite comically to us, "Lolo," which means respected elder. When we come into a room, they enthusiastically call to us and ask us to sit next to them. "Ate! Ate! Ate Jill!"

We have been giving lots of hugs. They love to be held. One little girl in particular gives me 20 hugs a day and always tickles me afterward. Hug then poke.

We've been singing lots of songs. I think I told you that even though about half of them don't know English, they still sing lots of English praise songs. We taught them "Every Move I Make" and "Be Glorified" with all the hand motions, and they LOVE it. They walk around all day singing these two and beg to sing them at every devotion time.

A couple of the girls told me their stories today--it breaks my heart. I do not understand the pain these girls have had to experience. After one of the girls told me all about her past, she told me she was thankful that God brought her here. She told me that she used to hate God and Jesus, but God brought her here and showed her his love through the Caseys and others. She told me she used to get up at 3 am just to be able to borrow a Bible. How much we take for granted.

Another girl told me that she had been so blessed by us being here. She said, "You bless me because you sing with such joy. There is no one like you in my village."

Next week we will be helping to run a camp--lots of games, dancing, singing, and general craziness. I might not have quite as much time to communicate. Know that you are in my prayers.

2 comments:

Nanna and Poppy said...

Thanks, Daniel for keeping us up to date.

Corrie said...

Thought about Jill today, when we read this in family devotions (Matthew 25)

34"Then the King will say to those on His right, 'Come, you who are blessed of My Father, inherit the kingdom prepared for you from the foundation of the world.

35'For I was hungry, and you gave Me something to eat; I was thirsty, and you gave Me something to drink; I was a stranger, and you invited Me in;

36 I was naked, and you clothed Me; I was ick, and you visited Me; I was in prison, and you came to Me.'

37"Then the righteous will answer Him, 'Lord, when did we see You hungry, and feed You, or thirsty, and give You something to drink?

38'And when did we see You a stranger, and invite You in, or naked, and clothe You?

39'When did we see You sick, or in prison, and come to You?'

40"The King will answer and say to them, 'Truly I say to you, to the extent that you did it to one of these brothers of Mine, even the least of them, you did it to Me.'