Friday, May 15, 2009

Prayer Requests

Well, I'm just about 36 hours away from leaving for the Philippines. This spring has been such a whirlwind, it is has really snuck up on me. Then again, I suppose these things always seem to. It's not like when I was a kid waiting for Christmas. Since I became an adult, I never seem to have time to prepare for holidays and trips. All of a sudden I find myself on a 10 hour flight.

For any of you that might be reading that don't know, I am going on a mission trip. It will be my first. I know that I have a lot to learn, and I have lots of concerns about the trip (mostly about leaving Ava behind), but I am very excited. I am so thankful for this opportunity to go. I will be going with a team that will be ministering to girls that have been abused. What they have endured brings me to tears when I think of it. It is humbling to me that I get to be involved. I know that I cannot tell them how to deal with their pain and grief because I cannot even fathom it. I feel so blessed to be able to go and learn--to share the love of Jesus with those who are broken and to see how God restores this broken world. I count it a privilege.

I have done a lot of thinking and praying about this trip. I was hoping that those of you who are so inclined might join me. Here are some prayer requests.
  • That God would be glorified in the work that goes on there.
  • That we would be used to share the riches of God's love with girls who need it.
  • That the Holy Spirit would empower us to do the work that he has us to do.
  • That the good news of Jesus sacrifice and God's grace would take root in their lives, transform their hearts, and give them great joy despite their suffering.
  • That our team would be unified and our love for one another would be evident.
  • That God would fight for us as we experience spiritual warfare.
  • That I would be humble and teachable, and that I would learn more deeply how deep God's love is and how wonderful his gospel is.
  • That God will watch over my little girl while I'm away from her, and that I would be at peace in His call to go.
  • That our group would be granted safety while we are there.

Thank you, thank you for your prayers. I will leave you with a scripture that I have been mulling over the past few weeks. It speaks of God's grace and his ability to restore. It seems especially appropriate

Isaiah 61:1-4
1 The Spirit of the Sovereign LORD is on me,
because the LORD has anointed me
to preach good news to the poor.
He has sent me to bind up the brokenhearted,
to proclaim freedom for the captives
and release from darkness for the prisoners,

2 to proclaim the year of the LORD's favor
and the day of vengeance of our God,
to comfort all who mourn,

3 and provide for those who grieve in Zion—
to bestow on them a crown of beauty instead of ashes,
the oil of gladness instead of mourning,
and a garment of praise instead of a spirit of despair.
They will be called oaks of righteousness, a planting of the LORD
for the display of his splendor.

4 They will rebuild the ancient ruins
and restore the places long devastated;
they will renew the ruined cities
that have been devastated for generations.

No comments: