Thursday, July 29, 2010

Four Months


I think you and your sister are conspiring.

Or, perhaps more aptly put, I think she is giving you some coaching on how to be a baby.

Maybe I have spirited baby genes. Or maybe I am the most (over)stimulating person on the planet. Whatever the case may be, you have become the spitting image of your sister at this age.

You don't like to cuddle. I try to hold you close to me to get you to calm down, but it seems to rev you up. You push away from me; you try to climb me with your feet. Let's face it--even though you're a baby, you're pushing twenty pounds. That makes you pretty hard to hang onto.

I try to put you in the crib. You scream. I pick you up. You scream. I put you back down. You WAIL. I can't console you. That's pretty demoralizing for a Mama. The pacifier works, but only until it falls out. And honestly, we did that with your sister, and slept in 40 minute spurts for 3 or 4 months. Not really wanting to go there again. Also not really wanting to let you "cry it out." So suck your thumb already, ok?

Whew.

Other than the sleep issues (which thankfully up to now are mostly getting-you-to-sleep issues, not keeping-you-asleep issues), you are a pretty fantastic little guy. You are very generous with smiles and coos. Only your sister rivals you in flirtatiousness. Speaking of Ava, you love her. Yesterday, you were screaming your head off, when I walked in with her on my hip. You took one look at her, immediately stopped screaming and commenced cooing. You two just giggle at each other. It's cute. Two peas in a pod, you are.

You are doing lots of new things--playing with toys, gumming things, grabbing your feet, rolling from belly to back (and working on the other way). I just can't get my mind around the fact that in just a few months you'll be eating solids, chattering, and most likely crawling. It just seems that you should be my little baby forever. But I guess I can't keep you small. Especially if you keep eating like you do.

So little one, happy four month birthday. I'm looking forward to a lifetime of watching you grow and change. I love you so much.

Mama

P.S. This picture makes me want to call you Bubba. Just sayin'.

2 comments:

Amy said...

He looks like Ava did, too! Except slightly larger...teehee :-)

Brian said...

I can't believe how much older he looks already! I wish we could see you all this weekend!