Tonight, one my junior high girls accepted Christ. We were talking about the Sermon on the Mount, and the standards that Jesus sets that we can never reach on our own. We talked about how we need God's grace. Annie laid out the gospel.
My student seemed especially interested. She always asks lots of questions. "You say all I have to do is believe? What if I say I believe and tomorrow I go cuss everyone out at school. What if I say I believe and twenty years from now I'm a drunkhead?" We explained that everyone still sins after they accept Christ, but that true faith in Christ is life changing. We talked about the difference in a belief that is only in your head (the kind that even the demons have), and the kind of belief that confesses Christ as Lord. We talked about how Christ makes us a new creation. We ran out of time.
Annie closed in prayer, and added that any of the leaders would be willing to stay and answer questions or pray with them if they wanted that kind of relationship with Jesus. My student came up to me and told me that she felt like God had been working on her all week. She told me that she had accepted Christ when she was 10, but that she didn't feel like she had really understood it. She told me that she really wanted to have the kind of relationship with Jesus that we were talking about. She asked what she should do. I told her that I could already see the faith growing in her, and that she should pray and repent, tell God that she knows her need of him, tell him that she wants to be his. She prayed and asked God to fill her up. She prayed to be his daughter. I cried tears of joy as I prayed over her. Tears of thankfulness at answered prayer, and how God changes lives. Rejoiced as the angels did in heaven.
2 comments:
Well, Jill, I have to say that after reading your "weary soul" post, I was mulling over giving you some older sister-in-law advice, you know, the kind that makes you want to go jump off a cliff, the kind where I say, "Well, really, you need to just drop something, because you're just too overcommitted and blah blah blah.." And I read this, and I'm thinking, you know what, God is using you in the middle of your craziness. You have given Him your time, and He is using you. I look up to you, Lil' Sis-in-Law. :) I think you function pretty well in the overwhelmed state.
Thanks, Corrie. :) I appreciate the encouragement.
Post a Comment