Last night, my parents were out walking their dogs, when a loose pit bull approached them. He trotted across the street. Buddy (my parent's lab) seemed to sense something was wrong. Our usually playful dog growled. The pit bull knocked my mom down, and bit Buddy on the neck.
My Dad grabbed the pit bull, somehow pried his mouth open and, in the process, got a number of bites on his hands and arms. A neighbor apparently heard my mom yelling and helped to get the situation under control.
They called the police, who caught the dog and located its owner. Everyone is pretty much okay. Dad went to PrimaCare to have the bites cared for. Buddy somehow only had minor scrapes. Mom started to feel a little more sore today, and finally went to the doctor. After taking some x-rays, the doctor informed her that she most likely had a hairline fracture on her elbow from the fall, and that she had probably jammed her shoulder from the impact. Everyone was a little bit sore and bedraggled, but overall okay.
I am so thankful that Dad was there. It makes me proud to be his daughter. After almost 35 years of marriage, he still loves my mom, still takes walks with her, still risks his safety to protect her. He is a good man. He is her hero. And my mom--she's just tough. She was shaken when I talked to her on the phone, but that didn't stop her from saying, "If I'da had my gun, that would have been a dead dog." Texas woman, through and through.
Mom and Dad, I love you both. I'm glad you're okay.
2 comments:
Love you too.
Mom
As I'm trying to pry open the Pit Bull's jaws, Mom's over my shoulder screaming, "let go a maa dawg"!!!...at "Max", not me. I think that's the only reason I was able to loose the jaws of death, she scared the bite outa him!
Dad
Post a Comment