Monday, September 22, 2008

Sleeping Through the Night

I used to be a heavy sleeper. I would happily sleep through any disturbance--my alarm clock, Mom trying to shake me awake (I took a swing at her in my sleep once), the burglar alarm. It wasn't easy to wake me up.

Then I got pregnant. My body would wake me up several times a night (you ladies know why).

Then I had a baby.

I think I've kissed those days of sleeping through the night (and halfway through the day) goodbye. I have a momma body now. It springs out of bed automatically at Ava's slightest peep. I almost surprise myself with my reaction to her stirring. What force has taken control of my body that causes it to go vertical at the slightest provocation?

Last night, Ava did indeed sleep through the night. I'm glad for her. She is doing well, and is getting a lot more rest. But she is not a quiet sleeper. I decided that my momma radar is sharp enough that I could turn the baby monitor off. That helped some. But around about 2, then again at about 4, she let out some cries in her sleep. Up I went. I sneaked into her room to find her blissfully asleep. She had soothed herself. Good for her. Now I need to learn. I walked through the house and looked out the window to watch the rain falling hard on the ground, got a drink of water, and went back to bed.

A little while later, I woke up because my leg had fallen completely asleep. I got up and limped around for a bit. My body is just not used to sleeping all night anymore.

I got back in bed, and looked over to find Daniel lost in what seemed like miraculous sleep. I wonder what that's like.

2 comments:

Nanna and Poppy said...

I'm glad you turned the monitor off. Good for you.

Mom

Nanna and Poppy said...

Ava is booked on AA flight 5 to DFW Saturday, return 10/5. Have a nice nap.

Poppy