Monday, October 13, 2008

Taco Shhhh, Taco Shhhh

Proof that when you become a parent, you get weird:

When I was teaching at Moanalua, Daniel and I went to a number of football games. They have this wonderful energizer cheer that the crowd loves. The cheerleaders yell something and the crowd repeats. It goes like this:

Hey burrito (hey burrito)
Hey hey hey burrito (hey hey hey burrito)
Hey yeah, burrito yeah (hey yeah burrito yeah)
Taco Bell, Taco Bell (Taco Bell, Taco Bell)
Guacamole, Cinnamon Sticks (Guacamole Cinnamon Sticks)

When we brought Ava home from the hospital and swaddled her all up, she looked so much like a burrito. The cheer immediately came to my mind. It became part of our bedtime routine. Granted, I didn't yell it at her. As I wrapped her all up, I very soothingly said, "Hey burrito..." Daniel provided the echo.

As time went on, the goal in the bedtime routine became to say "shhhhhh" as many times as possible. Thus, the cheer morphed into the following:

Shh burrito (shh burrito)
Shh shh shh burrito (shh shh shh burrito)
Shh yeah, burrito shhh (shh yeah burrito shhh)
Taco Shh, Taco Shh (Taco Shh, Taco Shh)
Guacamole, Cinnamon Shhh (Guacamole Cinnamon Shhh)

Yep. We're weird. Good thing she doesn't know it yet.

No comments: