Ava and I dropped Daniel off for his interview, then headed back to the hotel for a short nap. When she woke up, we headed into town for some lunch. Before I could find a place to stop, I realized that she had fallen asleep in her carseat. I decided to do some exploring. I pointed our rental car uphill and started weaving my way through Berkeley's windy neighborhood streets. It was really beautiful. Lots of trees, plenty of fall color. After a while, I decided to head back downhill. I didn't have a map, so I had a little trouble finding my way back to Berkeley, but I made it. I parked and headed into a little cafe for lunch.
Two ladies ran the cafe, and the spokesman of the two came up to me and said, "We were talking and we decided that your baby is really cute, and we wondered if we could have her." I politely told them that I was rather attached, but thanks for the offer. I sat and devoured my lunch. It was already after 2.
We poked around town a little longer, and both headed back to the hotel for a nap. When we awoke, we went to pick up Daniel. We headed to a little pizza joint, The Cheeseboard, on the recommendation of one of Annie's friends. It's a little employee-owned cooperative where they make one kind of pizza a day, sponsor live jazz music, and where the customers sit on the median to eat their pizza. We joined them, with Ava in the carseat, and Daniel still in his dress shirt and suit slacks. If it wasn't obvious we were outsiders before, it was now. But we had fun.
Afterwards, we went in search of someplace to have some tea and talk. There was a little tea garden off the road, with a little fountain flowing outside. We were thinking about going in, but it looked more like a restaurant than a place to sit and drink tea, so we sat outside wondering if there was a Starbucks in this town. Not likely. Berkeley seemed to be all about the indie shop. After a couple of minutes, a woman approached us and told us that we should go in and have some tea. It gives off negative ions, which, it turns out, are really good for the baby. "The fountain gives off negative ions too. Out there on the street, there is too much going on. Lots of positive ions, which are really bad for you. Very FRENETIC. It's peaceful back here. You should get her a little fountain for her nursery." I thanked her for the advice, and silently thanked her for confirming all my negative stereotypes about Berkeleyites.
Daniel and I did eventually make it back to the cafe where I ate lunch. The same waitress fawned over Ava again, and we discussed his interview. It went really well.
On Saturday, Daniel and I drove around the area some more trying to get a feel for it. We went into San Fransisco, then crossed The Golden Gate Bridge on our way to Muir Woods.
We got up the next morning at 10 'til 5 to catch our flight. No problems getting to the airport, or through security. By the way, if you ever want to get anything through security that you shouldn't have, take a really cute baby along. All of the TSA agents were falling all over themselves, making faces at her and admiring her eyes and hair and cheeks. In fact, that was the theme of the trip. Ava Charms.
That's pretty much it. If you're still reading this, you're to be commended. We still don't know if California is what God has for us in this next season. We are both very excited for this opportunity, and we covet your prayers as we consider it.
3 comments:
Awww...she looks like Addie in that picture =)
Well, Cali is a drive away...a long drive, but a drive ;)
Oh and I work at Starbucks now...so if you'd like any Starbucks paraphenalia let me know...or I could mail you a punkin spice latte for the holidays...
Wow, what a fun little trip--keep us posted on your decision-making! About the cute baby getting you through security--I must add that you have to have a cute AND pleasant baby for that to work. My cute baby just screams at people, and they don't like that. I think she looks like Addy in that pic, too (or is Amy talking about a different Addie?). And Daniel looks pregnant. :)
I would love a pumpkin spice latte. Sounds yummy!
I think it would have to be the same Addy. I don't see it necessarily, but you are the expert on what Addy looks like. :) And Daniel said the same thing about himself. He was wearing the moby, which generally makes him look pregnant.
Post a Comment