Thursday, November 20, 2008

Forward Motion



Your daddy said yesterday that maybe 7 months wasn't such a significant milestone. After all, six months is the magical age. It marked half a year with you. Now that I think of it, this might be more significant to us than to you. You're a baby. You don't read calendars.

Plenty of moms told me that six months is when things start to settle down. And they have in some respects. You are getting so much more independent. But this makes you both less of a handful and more of one. You are so much more willing to go to sleep on your own (though you still don't like to be left alone) and you sleep for longer stretches. You sleep through the night unless I put you down too late. You are generally a happy girl. But you are into everything.

This month has held a lot of change for you. You're eating solid food now, and though you aren't usually enthusiastic about new foods the first time you encounter them, you're coming around. By far, your biggest developmental strides have been in your strength and mobility. You've been rolling for a few months, but in the past week you've discovered how to get to a sitting position all by yourself, how to push on your hands and knees, and how to rock back and forth in this position. You are trying figure out how to move your legs forward without plopping down on your belly. Even when you do, you commando crawl after whatever it was you were chasing. Sometimes I find you in a push up position, toes pressed hard against the ground, head down, grunting. You are fearless. I love that.

But this fearlessness has consequences. You fall. I suppose that's just part of growing up and learning. But when you do fall, I am there. I can't always catch you, but I comfort you when you do. It's painful for both of us. I'm sure it always will be. I want you to know until I die I will be here to comfort you.

I'm a bit nostalgic for the time when you curled up and went to sleep on my chest. But it is wonderful to see you move forward. This stage is so exciting, and I can tell that you are enjoying your freedom thoroughly. We'll keep moving forward, sometimes creeping, sometimes running. Each new stage will be a joy. I look forward to watching you blossom into a young woman, and being there to encourage you when that process gives you bruises and broken hearts. I love watching you grow, little one. Happy seven months.

4 comments:

Jill said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Jill said...

Note: This post was written on Monday, Ava's seven month birthday, but I hadn't had much luck getting the video to upload, so I held off posting it. Yay for youtube!

Corrie said...

Sweet. You know, our cat, Charlie, is a biter, but the other day I watched him lie down while Isaiah had clumps of his hair in a death grip, and he didn't really react at all. Cats are almost as entertaining as babies.

Nanna and Poppy said...

This adorable. I can't wait to see her and Isaiah together.

Mom