Wednesday, November 26, 2008

Views

I had the great honor today of standing atop the Trump International Hotel and Tower in Waikiki. The building is within one story of topping off and is already the tallest in the area. Below is the result of stitching together a few photos (click on the picture for a larger version).

To give you some idea why I won't see this view after construction is complete: the penthouse unit on the ocean side of the building was sold for more than twenty times the full structural design fee. As a lowly structural designer, I took home about ten percent of the design fee. This means that I would have to design about 200 buildings of this magnitude before earning enough to buy this penthouse unit. Fortunately, units in another of my projects cost a little less.

2 comments:

Corrie said...

Is Country Club Village where you'll be moving to? If so, looks pretty neat--access to a pool and parks and other stuff. Guess you should have some amenities for having to all live in a one-bedroom apartment!

Daniel said...

Yes, our condo on the sixteenth floor of Country Club Village. We move about two weeks after we get back from our Christmas travels.